Senior R&D Engineer, Lasers
Position: Senior R&D Engineer, Lasers
Reports To: R&D Manager
A Senior R&D Engineer, Lasers has an optics, physics, or photonics academic background and has demonstrated skill and initiative to solve technical problems and organize projects. The Senior R&D Engineer, Lasers is self-directed, inquisitive, and can work independently.
- Serve as the technological expert with regard to hardware implementation of laser damage testing, laser processing and any other company pursuit regarding the use of high energy lasers.
- Lead technology and engineering efforts to construct, expand and deploy laser damage testing setups and other laboratory uses of lasers such as CO2, YAG, Ti Sapphire, or various Fiber Lasers.
- Utilize and implement various laser-related and optical component metrology devices such as power meters, temporal measurement and calibration equipment, phase contrast microscopes, AFM, white light interferometers, and oversight of outsourced testing.
- Reduce data, perform statistical analyses of experimental results and communicate key conclusions to the R&D team.
- Work on a wide array of open-ended projects to further the company’s technological differentiation
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in the optical field such that novel solutions can be explored ahead of competition
- Organize and follow through on assigned projects in an independent manner, keeping teammates informed of progress, and keep to the agreed project schedule.
- Clearly document and present work in written reports.
- May be required to use shop and power tools to modify parts or equipment.
- M.S. Degree or PhD in Optical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics, or related and minimum 10 years applied experience in an energetic lasers/photonics environment. Knowledge of light-matter interaction under high fluence a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in the use of numerical software such as MatLab, minitab or other data analysis packages.
- Intermediate/advanced mechanical skills.
- Approximately 20% travel required
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.